Millennium Mom

Sunday, October 26, 2008

The Run, Jump and Play headache

For those of you who have read my book, you will recall one of my tips is to "keep the birthday parties small."

Let me just state up front, I am not a fan of young children's birthday parties. Twenty or so, 3, 4 or 5 year old's in a room for a couple of hours is nothing but exhausting. Add in bouncy houses and it can put you over the top. Yesterday we had the joy of once again being invited to a party at the Cincinnati resident birthday factory, also known as "run, jump and play." Let me give you some background.

You enter this large factory and get warmed up by your children running around roughly 10, $7,000 plus play sets by Rainbow Co. Mega-slides, climbers, swings of all sort...you get the picture. You would think this would get a lot of energy out, but after 15 minutes of this, they then line up (well attempt to) and are guided by two teenage helpers to the first room with (3) bouncy house like things. In the first room is the "flower", "basketball court" and "obstacle course." The next 30 minutes are in this closed room, with really loud music, lots of screaming and occasionally the fun of watching a parent get in too (to coax the child in of course). From this room we line up again and go into room 3 (I did say factory right) to the "shark slide", "aquarium" and "pirate ship" for 30 more minutes of fun. There is a place to sit, for max 5 parents (but of course there are 20 of us there, because no one just drops off kids anymore).

After all the jumping is done, you go into one of the birthday rooms (I think there are 5) for either pizza and cake, or just cake depending on the time of day. Yesterday was just cake, so not too bad, followed by opening presents, which is always a nightmare...child doesn't want to open card, parent trying to so they can say thanks and inventory the toy, others kids wanting to help...you get the picture.

This all ends for me with a massive headache. Yet again yesterday I came home (and my husband was there too, as our entire day was planned around it) and just wanted to collapse on the couch. Silly me didn't take my Tylenol PM until 2 hours later, but at least I got a good nights sleep.

Please consider a simple little party. Make your little one feel special without dragging 20 families out to the local factory for head-ache inducing fun...

2 Comments:

  • What you say is a head ache I think is a good time. I love to let my children socialize and have fun. Look at the party through the eyes of a child and not an exhausted mom maybe then you will see having all your friends around to help you celebrate you big day is a good thing.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, At October 28, 2008 at 4:09 PM  

  • Thanks for the comment. I totally agree that for the most part the kids enjoy it in the moment and look forward to it. In fact mine always ask for a party there. Unfortunately its because they associate it with getting lots of presents. I think it is each's parents choice how to celebrate, ours has just been a little more low key event that makes them feel very special and is less time consuming for everyone involved.

    By Blogger Millennium Mom, At October 29, 2008 at 7:16 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]



<< Home