Millennium Mom

Tuesday, July 27, 2010

So much for a half-day vacation

Well, today was supposed to be my first of two half-days this week while my niece and nephew are here with us. But today just didn't go as planned.

It started with Claire having an accident and waking me up at 4:45 am. Claire NEVER has accidents, and of course she was sleeping in the basement vs. her room. All of the kids have been sleeping down there so they can all be together. Claire was alone on a double bed so no one else got woken up, but I needed to strip the bed and get it taken care of before I left. So I left a little later than normal.

During all this I didn't even realize that I was supposed to be on a 7am 7:30 I realized it, called in and no one was on the line. No big deal, I was meeting my co-worker later to work on it anyway. So still driving to work and Arnie calls me. He was looking in our Yahoo account and read the email I got from Sheila Gray, the anchor at Fox 19 that I work with on my segments. Her email sent on Monday referenced "tomorrow", which was today. Arnie knew I was driving to work, not the studio so he called me. I had it down for Wed my normal day. So I sent Sheila an email. By the time I got to my desk at 7:45 I had an email confirming indeed my segment was today. UGGHHHH

So I sped downtown, way too fast and walked in at 8:20am (gotta love no traffic in Cincy, it is a 19 mile drive). They had switched me with another person and were kind enough to give me 15 minutes to catch my breath and review my talking points. 8:40 comes and I am live doing my segment. Disaster #2 avoided, back in my car heading north and calling into my next meeting which was scheduled in the last 12 drill #1 on Project Speedboat.

I am in the conference room by 9:15 and we align on what we need to prepare for a meeting called for Thursday. I had my Brand Manager move our 9am to 11am so I could attend this meeting, so all seems well. I am back at my desk at 10am and have some emails to answer, key docs to read and decide I need to call my new boss to talk about my the marketing organization in my new job, who I want to hire, etc Before I know it it is 11am and time for another meeting. I thought the one rescheduled from 9, only for my new GM to remind me we had another meeting that was called in last moment on Project TFB. Ughhh, disaster #3 not avoided. I apologize to the team that I was supposed to meet with and get on the call.

At least on this call we were efficient and in 30 minutes aligned on who was doing prep work for meeting next week...and not me thank God. So by 11:30 I am in the meeting I re-scheduled and can add some value. Noon back at my desk, eating the salad I brought (trying to be good, but the Reese's pieces left on table catch me on way to fridge too). Getting through some email, dealing with urgent intern issue and returning phone calls on it.

12:30 head to meeting with my co-worker to develop materials they talked in 7am meeting. Both were asked by new Group President to provide some perspective on key processes and what we should keep, etc as we move to a new org design. We cranked it out in an hour, ready to share it with others...check one box, old boss asked me to do that for her and it is done.

Back at desk at 1:30, was supposed to be home an hour ago, thankfully had told Amber I may have to take some additional meetings and not to expect me before 2:30. Another Marketing Dir wants to talk to me about some staffing stuff so we head to the time we are done time for my 2pm, was going to call in from car but still at my desk and still haven't begun to work on the presentation draft I need to have done by COB. Take phone call and begin to multi-task to get the presentation done. 3pm we are done but I am still working presentation...keep at it while I return a voicemail. 3:45 I hit send, at least accomplished my #1 task for the day. Clear out the rest of my emails and then call someone interested in one of the roles I have open in my group.

She is on West coast time so need to call after her lunch. Chat at 4 my time and shut down computer at 4:15. Four more calls on the way home and my mind is somewhat clear by the time I get home at 4; I am three hours late, but Amber was my savior. She took the kids bowling and they had a great afternoon. I am now home listening to the normal bickering...this time over mini Chips Ahoy...we are eating later than normal so Arnie could go for a bike ride.

Speaking of which, that is only 45 minutes away so I need to see if my chicken is defrosted. What a crazy day, not the one I planned, totally all over the place but I guess they come every now and then. The only thing I know is I am taking my half-day on Friday, no matter what.


Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home