Millennium Mom

Saturday, May 8, 2010

Happy Mother's Day

To all the moms out there reading this Happy Mother's Day.
I LOVE Mother's Day, always have. My dad would always bring my mom a dozen roses and then one for me and one for my sister. It was so special. Then we would spend the day with both of my grandmas, in hindsight simply priceless.

I spoke to my Grandmother tonight. She will be 88 next month. She is a strong women. Widowed at the age of 43, with an 18, 13 and 3 year old. Up until that point she had never worked, she was a housewife raising a family. But she went to work as a matron at the High School. She never made a ton of money but she was smart. She moved in with her parents who helped her raise her sons. She was frugal and choiceful. Her house was meticulous and she was always smartly dressed. She could find a bargain anywhere.

Today she still lives on her own in her house. She has never had a driver's license, but she isn't afraid to take the bus anywhere.

She was so excited about the tulips I sent her and just wanted to thank me. I could never thank her enough for the inspiration and role model she has been for me. I try to give her more but she won't take it. Today she stressed over my uncle and some bad choices he has made. From a distance I get very angry as the last thing an 88 year old women needs is stress. But I can't do much, so I just listen. I call often so she knows she can have a shoulder to cry on or an ear to complain too.

I have become her sounding board and I love it. When it is really bad our call is followed by a call to my mom to say "go see grandma." Funny that you have to be 1,000 miles away to get that out of her.

So in honor of my Grandma, my mother, my sister and all my friends that are terrific moms, enjoy your day tomorrow. I hope your dreams come true and when you are 88 years old have a granddaughter you can talk to, as that is truly priceless.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]



<< Home