Millennium Mom

Sunday, April 19, 2009

4/19 Blog: The post-vacation un-digging

So it has been a while since I have written - a long while. I have no excuse, but a simple explanation...a nice vacation away with my family where I stepped away from "all work" both my professional career, and all other activities that take time away from family...like blogging and other book related activities. Upon returning from our vacation, then it was simply the post-vacation un-digging. Catching up on what happened while I was gone, clearing emails and getting the brain going again.

Needless to say it was an exhausting week. On top of just craziness at work, we had a very strange week...bad weather on Monday so last minute cancelling of baseball practice that evening, our normal hockey night out on Wed, a work event for me on Thursday (and poor Arnie had to run his baseball practice and watch the girls, all on a very muddy field). Friday was a beautiful 70 degree day in Cincy and nothing could have been a better ending to a tough week.

This weekend we were blessed with one nice day and one not so nice. Thank goodness the nice day came on Saturday - which was opening day for Anderson Township Little League. The day began with a parade at 9am. I headed out with Claire and Sarah at 8:30. Unfortunately, April is an overlap month between Hockey and Baseball for Ben, so he had hockey at 8:30 and had to miss the parade. We marched until 9am and then headed to Target to pick up smaller baseball pants for Claire. We had some hand-me-downs from her cousin Jake, but they were a bit big. We took advantage of being at the store to buy some gallons of water and Gatorade powder to have for the games, in case anyone forgot a drink.

We headed to the field at 10:30. Claire's schedule is practice for an hour, followed by a game of t-ball. Normally this is 10 and 11, but due to the parade this week it was 11 and 12. This meant we would be out of the house from 8:30 to 1:30. With this in mind I packed food for the kids, some lunch meet, cheeses, yogurt, cheese sticks, juice boxes and other snacks. This should be enough to keep them happy. T-ball went great, Claire did just wonderful and seemed to enjoy it...except for "my hands are hot and sweaty in this glove" moments. But overall, for being the only girl (our neighbors has spring break this week and they are the other girls on the team) she held her own and loved it.

So...home at 1:30, quick lunch for mom and dad, can't even remember what...but long enough to get in major disagreement. I wanted to run to Home Depot to rent a tiller to work on my garden...Arnie wanted to go on his bike ride. I asked him to wait until I got back, he didn't want to...needless to say we were not on the same page...and I was mad. So off he went and then the kids and I headed out. By the time I got there there were no tillers left. This just added to my anger. Instead of tilling we started to put the fence up. The kids and our neighbors all got involved and it was great, we got half of it up by the time dad got home.

Arnie made some pasta and we all had dinner at 5 before heading out to Ben's game. The Pirates (coach pitch) did truly awesome. For their first game they really exceeded all expectations. I think the other team only did the 9 batter rule once of the six innings, meaning they go three outs before 9 players bat. More importantly, they had a great time, cheering each other on and enjoying the great weather and game. Our tired bunch got home at 8 in time to take showers and play a bit before heading to bed.

Sunday brought showers (which was why I was so intent in getting the tiller on Saturday). We (the kids and I) headed back out to the garden after breakfast to work on the fence again. It was drizzling a bit. I had checked weather.com and they showed rain on and off the entire day. I opted not to do the 4 hour rental at 8am given we had church at noon and with rain I just wasn't sure. In hindsight, should have done it, as it rained less in the morning than afternoon...oh well. After church and lunch Arnie told me to go get a tiller and he would do it. I guess 24 hours of sneering at him sunk in. So, in the drizzling rain this afternoon, Arnie and I finished the fence and tilled our garden.

All in all, these (assuming we are successful) will be the most expensive vegetables on earth. But I have enjoyed every minute of it. Part of me is going back to my childhood and my grandparents garden...I have vivid memories of heading up the hill to pick the vegetables. Another part of me wants to form memories like those with my kids. And then another wants to do good for the environment if I can (I also bought a barrel at Home Depot to collect rain water).

So, I have blisters, my husband is exhausted and we played in mud all day...but it feels great and I can't wait to sew my seeds this week, keep your fingers crossed.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]



<< Home